Friday, July 22, 2011

Unconventional Summer Grillin'!

So...I was really feelin' falafel and Bryan was wanting to be all manly and grill (plus our house was already WAY too hot for real cooking) so we decided to go for the combination and see what happened! I usually just broil the falafel anyway, so I figured it wouldn't be too different.
First, I got the falafel mix out of the cupboard. I've heard the real thing is somewhat involved and I know I like the mix from my days as a cook at the ol' eating disorder center! Then, I found some cucumber in my own garden outside.  I went ahead and mixed up the mix while I went to the store and bought some pita pockets, lettuce, hot sauce, and hummus (wish they had had tahini). Since my own tomatoes weren't producing at the time, I went and bought one at the Farmers Market in Campbell a few days earlier...you just can't eat store bought tomatoes if you've ever had otherwise. It's wrong!








So, while I was chopping up the veggies (and the tomato), Bryan prepped the grill. He just got some tin foil and made a flimsy cooking sheet with it for the falafal. I went ahead and used a melon-baller to make the falafel balls and brushed them with oil. If we could go back, we would remember to spray the foil like crazy before putting the falafel down and to brush the tops with oil before turning them. They kind of stuck a bit. Also, we would smash the balls into patties for the grill because they would cook more evenly that way and be easier to flip over and what-not.      
There they are, chillin' over
the coals!
Well, it actually worked out really great! They tasted great and cooked well without heating up the house. All that remained was putting everything in the pita and eating up!
We turned them every couple minutes to brown all sides.

They actually cooked really fast!
We turned them a few times and
about 6 minutes later they were done.


Close up!
The delicious finished product. I should learn to make pitas...

1 comment: