Yeah, I know, I'm really clever with naming things. Years of practice, that's all it takes.
Anyway, my good friend Marla has a really cool thing (here I am being all descriptive again) in her room that she hangs jewelry on. It has patterned/textured fabric as the background and then she used lace and other fabric to make a tree shape on top. Anyway, guess I should have taken a picture. It made me want something to hang my pins (broaches?) on. So, I started planning. I really wanted it to be a special shape, not just rectangular or circular, but something more interesting. I couldn't think of anything like that that would still allow me to poke pins in and out of it. So, i was browsing a craft shop in Santa Cruz and found a couple embroidery hoops. Well, my roommate and I discussed possibilities and for less than 2 bucks I thought it was worth a shot. Here we go...
Well, these lovely rings just sat on the floor in my room with my empty paint trays and crusty paint brushes for weeks I think. I had planned on covering them with 2 different canvas-type fabrics and then somehow attaching them together, but I was having trouble finding some cheap fabric with a print that would work (going to a fabric store may or may not have helped the situation). Finally one day as I was wandering through my favorite thrift store and found a silk scarf for 50 cents with a pretty awesome perfect pattern! Sure, silk isn't the best stuff to poke with pins all day, but hey, 50 cents, people! And behold:
So, as you can see, I brought it home and immediately began to rip it up...(see seam ripper pictured above). Next, I did my best to iron out the creases. It had a lot.
And then fitting it into its frame.
Cool! Progress! Unfortunately, after I excitedly put some pins on this and hung it on the wall, it just stayed there by itself looking way too small for a couple more weeks. I couldn't find a second fabric that was cheap and coordinated with this one and my room (again, a fabric store may have been useful here). I did find a really cute possibility in a dish towel at anthropologie, but it didn't quite go with my whole idea of cheap. So, I held onto the dish towel idea and looked a few other places. Fail.
Then, I randomly stumbled apon a rummage sale while I was baby-sitting and we went to check it out. It was a treasure trove! Besides our amazing find of almost new 2 dollar RocketDog shoes that fit the girl I was watching perfectly, but I found a couple fabric scraps that were fantastic (and 50 cents again)!!! So, now it was time to really get to work. I decided to paint the wood white to fit in my room a little better and to try and make them look like frames instead of embroidery hoops. Luckilly, I had some nice glossy white paint laying around!
Then, I just pulled the excess fabric around the back and stitched it together. I added a couple pieces of tape (I'm like that show my dad occasionally watched....RedGreen anyone?) And there you have it. All I had to do after that was add the remaining pins and hang it up. I love it.
Anyway, my good friend Marla has a really cool thing (here I am being all descriptive again) in her room that she hangs jewelry on. It has patterned/textured fabric as the background and then she used lace and other fabric to make a tree shape on top. Anyway, guess I should have taken a picture. It made me want something to hang my pins (broaches?) on. So, I started planning. I really wanted it to be a special shape, not just rectangular or circular, but something more interesting. I couldn't think of anything like that that would still allow me to poke pins in and out of it. So, i was browsing a craft shop in Santa Cruz and found a couple embroidery hoops. Well, my roommate and I discussed possibilities and for less than 2 bucks I thought it was worth a shot. Here we go...
| Here they are! 2 different sized wooden rings! |
Well, these lovely rings just sat on the floor in my room with my empty paint trays and crusty paint brushes for weeks I think. I had planned on covering them with 2 different canvas-type fabrics and then somehow attaching them together, but I was having trouble finding some cheap fabric with a print that would work (going to a fabric store may or may not have helped the situation). Finally one day as I was wandering through my favorite thrift store and found a silk scarf for 50 cents with a pretty awesome perfect pattern! Sure, silk isn't the best stuff to poke with pins all day, but hey, 50 cents, people! And behold:
| Beautiful, huh!? Well, it's about to be torn apart. |
| Here is it, afer I unstitched the poor thing. |
So, as you can see, I brought it home and immediately began to rip it up...(see seam ripper pictured above). Next, I did my best to iron out the creases. It had a lot.
And then fitting it into its frame.
| The question of using it for the small or large frame was answered for me. It would only cover the small one. |
Then, I randomly stumbled apon a rummage sale while I was baby-sitting and we went to check it out. It was a treasure trove! Besides our amazing find of almost new 2 dollar RocketDog shoes that fit the girl I was watching perfectly, but I found a couple fabric scraps that were fantastic (and 50 cents again)!!! So, now it was time to really get to work. I decided to paint the wood white to fit in my room a little better and to try and make them look like frames instead of embroidery hoops. Luckilly, I had some nice glossy white paint laying around!
Then, i got my new fabric out and it down to size. It's not canvas either, but just some regular old cotton. I think it will work just fine and I LOVE the print. LOVE IT. I love it so much I'm going to show it in full size.
Ya like that?
I do.
Ok, so Then, I just had to put in on the frame and then figure out how to attach the two. I decided to just stich the smaller one right onto the larger one. I used white thread and made big simple stitches. That way, if I ever want to switch out the fabric or just detach the two hoops I just rip the thread and voila! nbd. It worked like a charm and was so so easy.
Then, I just pulled the excess fabric around the back and stitched it together. I added a couple pieces of tape (I'm like that show my dad occasionally watched....RedGreen anyone?) And there you have it. All I had to do after that was add the remaining pins and hang it up. I love it.
| Done. |
Wow, so cute! i love the fabric on both. they really coordinate well with each other! good job!
ReplyDeleteAw...thanks! I feel like it's extra good if you think so.
ReplyDelete