Yeah! Glorious garden tomatoes!! I love them so much, but I found myself wondering...what do I DO with all of these things? I have eaten so many this summer. I've had tomato soup, homemade pizza, spinach and ricotta stuffed tomatoes, Jambalaya (twice), salsa, you get the point. Then, I was at my sister's and she was making a bunch of hers into pasta sauce and then jarring it. Now, I don't have the equipment or the patience for that. So, luckilly I have the world's knowledge at my fingertips. I went ahead and looked up recipes for pasta sauce that you can freeze and then tried it!
I mixed a couple different recipes and made bags and bags of the stuff. Just a basic garden veggie tomato sauce that I can kind of tailor to specific recipes all winter long! Yeah!
| Chopped up and thrown in the pan. |
| After about 30 minutes of simmering. |
I chopped up all sorts of my garden vegetables and added them (tomatoes, zucchini, and 3 different types of peppers!). Plus, I got to use my fresh herbs (basil, thyme, sage, and some parsley!
Enter: One of the cooking world's greatest inventions since the toaster oven (the hand blender)
Yep, someone just left one of those behind here at my house and I snatched it right up. I am in LOVE with it. So cool. I don't have to spend 12 years taking small batches out and putting them in the blender only to have half of it splatter all over me because I didn't let it cool enough and the lid exploded off the top. Plus, you don't end up with a too smooth soup with random large chunks either. I can just stir it around, find the chunk, and BAM! it's gone. (Wow, I'd be so good at info-mercials)
| I love it so much, I just might marry it! |
It tasted pretty good when I made it...I'll have to let you know a few months down the road how the freezer treated it.
Cool. I ate all those tomatoes you gave me pretty much the same day. I love fresh tomato!
ReplyDeleteCome get more!!
ReplyDeleteLove this Liz! I like that freezing things doesn't take near as much effort/space as canning does. Good thinking!
ReplyDelete