Sunday, May 16, 2010

Bad Social Worker

Yep. It's now official. Why, you might ask??? Because I hate bums. I really do. Although this could be a case of people hating what they fear, but still. I had to do the whole public transport by myself. I rode Caltrain to SanFran and then walked from the station to Market Street. I was a little on edge the whole way and a couple of maybe-bums tried to talk to me. Then, after successfully purchasing tickets for a show (while trying to hide the fact that I was walking around using my GPS), I wanted to go down to the wharf. I am terrible at reading bus schedules (Brittney and Emily can attest to that) and so I asked some people waiting at a stop. They turned out to be some Europeans, but this guy sitting on the bench kindly offered to help. Why am I so trusting...still? He told me to ride the F line and that I needed 2 dollars cash. I stupidly did not bring cash. So, he directed me to an ATM. I thanked him profusely, to which he said, "now, you're going to help me out, right?" Oh, I see. You're one of THOSE. Then, I really looked at him and it was totally obvious, from his shifty walk to his blackened partial teeth. NOoooooo!!!! So, I said, "Sure, I guess I can pay for your bus ticket." Well, after I got my money, I gave him $2. He looks at me and says,"I need five dollars." I don't know how or why, but I mustered up the gumption to say, "Well, I can't afford five."
"I'll give you this two back and you give me five," forcefully moving in on me.
Then, I surprised myself again and talk-yelled, "Well, I Can't Afford It!" and ran away without looking back. Hahahahaha! It's sad how terrified I was that he would follow me and beat me up or something. But, there is a happy ending. I got on the bus, talked with some Irish people, and made it to the wharf where I met Emily and her family. Phew! I hope I never talk to a bum again.
This post is dedicated to my eternal roommate, Jency.

7 comments:

  1. Ha! Ha! Whenever I go to big cities I suffer from my small town upbringing and trust most strangers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job - you successfully navigated a big city and accomplished what you needed! It will get easier every time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have no idea why, maybe being from a small town, but I have always been way too trusting. Thanks, Kathy, next time I'll know which bus to take and that you should always have a little cash, preferably in small bills, too! That ought to make it a little easier already.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ha ha scary Liz, but I'm glad you ran. I would have too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ah ha ha ha! i am so so so proud of you. My stomach was in knots reading it cause i was sure you'd give in and give him the money...but you Held strong even when he was pushy! i love it. It was so satifying to read. Of coarse my favorite part was when you dedicated it to me! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Michelle, I doubt he would have the first $2 from you. You'd laugh in his stupid face.
    Jency,
    Thanks! There was a time I would have given him that $5, 3 weeks ago. I'm a stronger women now! haha! I've had good roommates to show me the way.

    ReplyDelete
  7. If it makes you feel better...we never had any such encouters in SF...but most of the time I had little kids with me...so maybe little kids scare the weirdos off.

    ReplyDelete